Saturday, August 22, 2009

Birthday Girl: Mrs. Parker

It's no use trying to be witty about Dorothy Parker; she did it better, first, whatever you could think to say. And she was born today in 1893.

Partial Comfort
Whose love is given over-well
Will look on Helen's face in Hell;
While they whose love is thin and wise
May view John Knox in Paradise.
I hope Helen (the former Miss Troy, you know, as Dorothy was born Miss Rothschild) and she are raising a glass to each other even as we speak, secure in the knowledge that they're having more fun than the stiff saints up above...

2 comments:

  1. Fave Dorothy Parker quote:

    I like to have a martini,
    Two at the very most.
    After three I'm under the table,
    after four I'm under my host.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truer words were never spoken, hon...

    ReplyDelete