Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Did We Love Her? My O My...

This really does seem to be just about the dyingest summer I can recall. Now we have to say goodbye to yet another link to great things past, singer/songwriter Ellie Greenwich. She was an artist whose work ran the gamut from the ridiculous ("Do Wah Diddy" comes to mind) to the sublime: "Chapel of Love," "Leader of the Pack," and the song heard here, "River Deep, Mountain High."

For reasons unknown, this 1966 video looks like nothing so much as the musical number dropped from Night of the Living Dead, and, as always, the Ikettes frighten me deeply. Still, even lip-synching (sometimes) to the Invisible Orchestra of Ike, Tina sings the hell of out it (also as always), and its one of those songs that just always makes you feel better - it's that rare thing, an enthusiastic take on romantic obsession, on love as a force of nature, unstoppable. As, I think, the best work of Ellie Greenwich will prove to be.

3 comments:

  1. Hi how are you?

    I was looking through your blog, and I found it interesting, and inspiring to me, so I thought why not leave you a comment.

    I too have a blog that I use out of Southern California here in San Diego.

    Mostly it is a collection of artistic expression, and I have many friends with the same interests, maybe you can become my friend, and follow, and I can also follow you, if that is okay.

    Well I hope to hear from you soon, and or read about you….LOL

    Sincerely,
    Jesse Noe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been humming "Baby I Love You" all afternoon. In a sad sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I shouldn't have watched those Ikettes quite this early.
    yikes!

    ReplyDelete