Friday, September 18, 2009

Hot-Hot-Hot-Hot-Hot-Hot-Hot...Not

Remember my little Ann Sothern problem? Things haven't gotten any better.

Now, like all sensible people, I find people who talk about their dreams almost invariably incredibly boring. But of course my dreams are different. Especially this one, which has now popped up at least three times.

In this dream, I am planning to meet friends at New York's old Ballroom, once the most interesting cabaret room in town, for a special surprise. It's a surprisingly realistic dream, taking in my flat in Chelsea (four sordid rooms indeed), a walk up Ninth Avenue in what seems like an autumn rain, and arrival at my old stomping grounds.

The surprise, it turns out, is the act already under way when the doors open: the cabaret debut of Miss Katharine Hepburn, circa 1967 and resplendent in a jersey pantsuit number like one of those from Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?. The song she is singing? Nothing else but that staple of 80s MOR radio, Ashford & Simpson's "Solid."

Words fail; fade to black.

9 comments:

  1. probably what gave her the damn parkinson's. she began that line and couldn't stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an acid flashback for sure, Muscato.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really would have only been better if Kate had been wearing Ashford's gold lame jumpsuit and braids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the placard outside the venue probably reads "Hepburn sings the songs of your life her way."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honey, you need to take either take more of your meds or cut them out entirely. Consult your medcial professional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I blame it on Ramadan, and consequent teetotaling. The end is in sight, and I hope to return to my regular diet of anxiety dreams about forgotten appointments and lost umbrellas...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time to go back into therapy.....

    Actually, I'm jealous...i always WANT to dream of Katharine Hepburn, and end up dreaming about Oprah or Streisand instead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear...how can I get a seat in one of your dreams??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, I'd pay good money to hear Oprah sing "Solid."

    And Jason, darling - I can comp you a table, but Koko has the bar concession and is adamant about the two-drink minimum.

    ReplyDelete