Thursday, March 1, 2012

Merry Wives

Some days you sit around thinking, "oh, dear - whatever shall I write about today?" Inspirationless, you wanly wait... and then Dame Fortune smiles.

Or, at least, the @ClarenceHouse Tweeter points you toward this lovely image, saying "The Queen, The Duchess of Cornwall and The Duchess of Cambridge visited Fortnum and Mason earlier today."

Which sounds to me like the setup for a joke (punchline ideas welcome), but looks rather like a royal matryoshkha doll.  If nothing else, it's a reminder of how much taller people seem to be getting, although I suppose at 85, the dear Queen has likely lost a little height that even her charming topper can't quite offset.  And doesn't Camilla have surpringly nice gams?  I really think she looks well here (although I must confess we're fairly pro-Camilla in general here at the Café, never having had much time for her high-strung predecessor).

I do hope they enjoyed their little shopping spree.  I imagine the newest Duchess sending a nice hamper off to the Falklands, while perhaps Her Majesty found something in the heart-healthy section (for even, these days, Fortnum's has to toe the health line, I bet) to take home for tea with Philip.  He will have wanted clotted cream, but then again, don't we all?

3 comments:

  1. Is it just me or does Lizzie appear to be looking for the next bus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, times are tough in London. Maybe she is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a blue framed mirror with gilded touches at our first ever warehouse sale last weekend that looked very much like Lizzie's outfit. I believe if I stood a pair of sensible pumps in front of said mirror and hung a smart patent leather handbag from it, abnd the light were just so, it could pass for Herself.

    ReplyDelete