Friday, January 8, 2010

Rock On, Local Dudes

Apparently, the shebab - the Sultanate's rising crop of teen boys - live in some kind of pop-culture time warp, at least as evidenced by this graffito Koko and I found on a pavement yesterday in one of our wanders around the neighborhood. It's not a place we go regularly, but often enough that I'm fairly convinced it's new-ish, at least.

This is a tag that would have seemed fairly naff back when I was of the age to be doing this sort of thing, rising thirty years ago. Here, it approaches the surreal. Which is, I suppose, all too often what one can expect from the intersection of East and West...

6 comments:

  1. "Which is, I suppose, all too often what one can expect from the intersection of East and West..."

    hmm, intersection of east and west....
    ......sounds like rice-a-roni to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least it's fairly well done. Props to the designer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can report that going by the grafitti in my old Neighbourhood, Bob Marley was a big deal amongst the Shebab. Also Metallica. Bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good old Pink Floyd along with the Pink Panther have been favs with the shebab for - omg so many years; wonder what it is about Pink

    ReplyDelete