Friday, January 29, 2010

Girl Just Wants to Have Fun

I know I've already run one Carole Samaha video this month (and how many blogs do you read that can claim that?), but over the last couple of days I keep running across this one and find myself smitten - it's random and poppy and just great fun.

It's the Lebanese diva's hit "Ali", and in it she, a couple of girlfriends, and a pair of I'm quite totally certain platonic pals dance it up. I'm loving the ice-cream colors, the Demoiselles de Rochefort choreography, the very 1986 synth hook, and the way it makes me think of numbers from things like Star Struck, if it were Middle Eastern instead of Australian.

5 comments:

  1. Her clips are usually better than her songs. It is strange that, once and few years ago, she was believed to be the new Fairouz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charming video, but I'm surprised with your exquisite taste and deep knowledge of important things that you didn't recognize the obvious references to Singing in the Rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, one tries, but one can't cover all the bases all the time - and I suppose when it comes to shorty raincoats, umbrellas, and dancing, it sort of goes without saying, no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Transfixed by those pale blue jeans that resemble nothing so much as the bottom half of a babygro. HOW do you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea what you meant, Rose, so I had to look up Babygro and have another look at the video, and - you are entirely and disturbingly correct. The green pants are really no less odd, but the blue...simply bizarre.

    Ah, the mysteries of Lebanon...

    ReplyDelete