Friday, October 30, 2009

...And the Crowd Goes Wild

You know what I think the most remarkable thing about this picture is? That little Mrs. Hoxenfelder here - doubtless a pillar of her Methodist church and a lady of generally impeccable meekness - is being restrained by two burly policement from joining a throng that is en-mobbing...

Who do you think? Elvis? the Beatles? Conrad Birdie?

Nope. It is, in fact, that white-hot focus of mid-century fanatical fandom:

Mamie Eisenhower.

Eat your heart out, Michelle. But you have to wonder if this kind of thing ever happened to Pat Nixon. Except maybe in Peking...

3 comments:

  1. I'm fairly certain Pat Nixon never drew such a crowd.

    But I hear that, much like the lady pictured, she once got bounced about by the cops at the Round Robin Bar in the Willard InterContinental.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. Almost forgot, Muscato. I adore the festive new banner. Makes me want to break out my frills and finery and go to a costume party at the Hearst Mansion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MAAY MEEE! MAAY MEEEEEEEE! Chant it with me now, MAAY MEEEEEEEEE!

    It's them bangs. I am just a fool for a hot set of bangs.

    ReplyDelete