Sunday, July 22, 2012

Yesterday, When We Were Young...


Ah, time in its flight...31 years ago today, this trio - Robby Benson, Joan Jett, and Rex Smith - joined forces - and Life was there.  The whys and the wheres are lost in the mists of time, but I confirm that within 18 months or so of this snap, I very likely owned and wore most or all of these clothes, not to mention sporting most or all of those haircuts (which are, I suppose, really only variations on a single, blow-dried, theme).

Since when, by the bye, did Joan Jett ever go around looking so femme?  1981 is kind of an in-between time for her, after the Runaways but before the Blackhearts, but she never at all struck me as an eyelet-and-ankle-sox kind of gal (frankly, I would have thought that was more up Rex's alley, but that's just me).

All three, now, are more or less in the "Whatever Happened To...?" category.  Jett did Broadway a couple of years ago, well-reviewed in Rocky Horror;  Benson has become an activist for cardiac research and just self-published an e-memoir recounting his four open-heart surgeries, I'm Not Dead ... Yet! (cheerful); and Smith's website, in the "Rex Right Now" section, touts his undoubtedly smash tour of the Philippines - in 2009.

STOP THE PRESSES:  I just realized something.  I was going to add, as a Fun Fact, something that I can't believe that I did not know:  that Robby Benson has since 1982 been married to fab '80s backup thrush Karla DeVito.  Then I thought to myself, recalling endless midnight viewings of the "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" video (which played, along with "I do the Rock," before screenings of Rocky Horror - back to that again, how odd - at Philadelphia's lamented TLA):  "Self, we have just discovered a major Time-Life error:  that woman in this picture is not, in fact, Joan Jett (who would not, in fact, be caught dead in New Wave Shepherdess drag) - that's Karla DeVito!"  Benson took over from Smith in Pirates of Penzance - in which DeVito understudied and then replaced Linda Ronstadt (talk about your "Whatever Happened To"-s!) - on Broadway right about that time, so there are the whys and the wheres, too.

Oy.  Can you tell I have too much time on my hands?

7 comments:

  1. The moment I saw this picture I was like "Oh my god it's Karla DeVito!" and was ready to state the facts but happily I read on. I was a big fan of her first solo album. She started out in Chicago and I remember seeing her about town, though I never saw her perform. I also remember being very disappointed that she married Robbie Benson, though I hear he has a big one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I didn't believe for a moment that was Joan Jett, either - although I had no idea who Ms DeVito is... Someone who lip-synched for Ellen Foley is hardly on my radar.

    Jx

    PS Speaking of "big ones", apparently Rex Smith's is a sight to behold (and the rumours of what exactly he was supposed to have done with that banana haunt me to this day)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hasten to add that Karla did much more than lip-synch; she's a real belter with a bigger voice than Ellen Foley (who I also adore). But though she had a video that was regularly featured on MTV, she was relatively unknown in the States, so it's not surprising that her career never reached overseas. Since her marriage to Mr. Benson, she seems to have put things more or less on hold, though Wikipedia tells us there have been some musical collaborations from the two of them. I can do without hearing those.

      Delete
  3. too much time on your hands?

    too much time on my hands as well...i read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Rex Smith, thought first of The Pirates of Penzance, next thought of Kevin Kline...at that point in time...with that mustache...in those tights!!! Well, all else fell away. Robby who? Karla DeWhat? Wine is fine, but Kline's devine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad I'm not the only connoisseur whose mind strayed in that direction. I've always wished that they'd made a mid-80s remake of Women in Love starring Kline and Jeremy Irons, just for the wrestling scene...

      Delete
  5. I first saw Rex and then the eyelet Chantilly style number and thought, I didn't know Robby Benson was in Xanadu?

    Because, as you may well know, I was to be Mrs. Robby Benson and this image would have sent me on an epic google search.

    That said, I greatly admire your sleuthing abilities in uncovering the truth in re-written internet history and for doing the work for me.

    ReplyDelete