Thursday, July 17, 2008

Nurse! Nurse!

Very early on in a career that saw more than its share of nurses (and housekeepers, and nosy neighbors...), Mary Wickes played Charlotte Vale's longsuffering nurse in Now, Voyager. "I suspect," remarks Charlotte, "You're a Treasure."

She was.

She left her papers to her alma mater, Washington University (that's their library there, in the background, behind the purse). Her personal correspondence, under the terms of the donation, is embargoed until 2027.

I can't wait.

1 comment:

  1. WHEE!!!!

    I love, love, love Mary Wickes. Have you ever read the novel "Now, Voyager"? The character of Dora, as written, is Mary Wickes to a TEE. Talk about your perfect casting.

    She also made that dreadful animated "Hunchback of Notre Dame" somewhat palatable by her mere vocal presence.

    And who can forget her was "Madame LaMonde" on "I Love Lucy"?

    "Now...PLIE! Five! Hundred! Times!"

    I miss her.

    ReplyDelete