Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Awful Truth

In light of today's shocking revelations over on JoeMyGod, I feel a need to come clean with all - both - my faithful readers. Muscato, darlings, is in fact not the spitting image of a slightly over-the-hill Kay Francis in something like 1946.

I know this will come as a shock. But there it is: it's only an avatar, one acting as a placeholder, as it were, for a forty-something Gentleman of Artistic Tastes, a stout party with a taste for chanteuses of days gone by, unfashionable artists of the mid-nineteenth century, and amusing anecdotes about obscure celebrities. oh, and Gabors.

Just to prove that I am not, in fact, a disturbed woman living in British Columbia, herewith as close as we're ever going to get to self-revelation around here. Yes, a childhood snap of Yours Truly, seen at the very last moment that my poor put-upon father had any hope for my future:


Hopes, I should add, that were dashed once and forever just a few minutes later when I traded the helmet for the hat my grandmother had come over in, along with her very fetching pale mink stole draped over the shoulderpads.

5 comments:

  1. Perfect, how you kept the shoulder pads on. Even then there was that elan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay Francis? But no, it can't be. I was sure that was you.

    Since you and Jason (or Jeisean) have posted your baby pictures, maybe I will too. Watch out for excessive cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable!!!!

    However, I think that your father's hopes may have been dashed when he saw your hands splayed "just so" and your eyes darting coquettishly to the side.

    The hat and mink probably confirmed the thought, though.

    I may skip the baby pictures and post an awkward stage adolescent photo. You know, as an antidote to all the cuteness on display!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay I've been catching your retrospective all month long on TCM and there's REAL talent in those flicks. You can emote with the best of 'em. They sure don't make 'em like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog! You are so elegant and eloquent.
    Please post this photo on my friend's blog: http://borngaybornthisway.blogspot.com/
    Then tell us the lovely story of how you came to be.

    ReplyDelete