Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Business and Pleasure


Because I know you worry, I thought I should reassure you that all work and no play is not, in fact, making this Jack a dull boy.

As of tomorrow, I turn back into a lean, mean teaching machine, but after a desultory meeting or two this morning, I have the whole afternoon to myself.  Now, there was a time in my life when that would have meant a vigorous bout of museum-going, temple-touring, and other energetic forms of self-improvement.  Not anymore.  I'm sitting poolside, awaiting a nice cooling drink, and later I'll be having what the spa here describes as a "Jet-Lag Eliminator," which sounds like a soft-core, travel-related version of a Schwarzenegger film, but which I'm assured is in fact extremely relaxing.

Which is a very good thing, as the trip was indeed rather awful, made tolerable only by quick stops between each leg at an executive lounge.  All told the voyage was 30 hours door-to-door, and it was indeed a sad and faded version of Your Correspondent who dropped into bed last night well after midnight.

As soon as that daiquiri arrives, though, I may well be persuaded that it was all worth while....

3 comments:

  1. That had better be one stunning daiquiri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's the daiquiri up top -- you swim in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I exercise strong self control. I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast." - W.C. Fields
    Jx

    ReplyDelete