Sunday, February 2, 2014

For Those Who Care for That Sort of Thing


Apparently there's a football game today.

While I'm the last person to get caught up in our great national sports-industrial complex,* there's never a bad reason to consider a little prime beef, is there?

Personally, I tend to think of this not so much in athletic terms as a chance to mark the anniversary of the death of poor Miss Janet Jackson's career.  Her reckless moment (which was as much Mr. Timberlake's, although from all I hear he continues to go from strength to strength) reinforces my belief in Miss Stein's adage (originally on the death of Miss Isadora Duncan) that "affectations can be dangerous" - in this case, a rather unflattering piece of nipple jewelry in place of scarves, but still...

* I long ago shared the closest I ever got to this second national pastime, and I've never really given it much thought since.

9 comments:

  1. I think you should share that advice with this young man. That jock strap looks both well-filled and perhaps too tight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your comment on Towlroad about Rene Flemming. Very true observation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would certainly pay more attention to sports if all of the athletes dressed like this young man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed - I think we should start a drive to restore the Greco-Roman tradition. Think how much more diverting the Olympics would be. Well, at least the summer Olympics. One shudders to think of the shrinkage at the winter variety...

      Delete
  4. I'd start watching football and giving a damn if they'd make this the standard uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the best argument I've seen in ages for a game of touch football.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Y'all have dirty minds. I like that.

    ReplyDelete