Monday, April 23, 2012
Image du Jour: Funnies Business
1. Who would have thought that Jimmy Olsen would so closely resemble Anne Baxter?
2. Wouldn't you love to see the rest of the outfit? Based on the blouse, I'm guessing knee-length navy pencil skirt with rear kick-pleat and coordinating sensible pumps. Alternate scenarios welcome.
3. Did he borrow the outfit from Lois, or was it a fresh purchase? Spend a moment thinking of Jimmy Olsen shopping in the Career Gal section of Gimbels.*
* I just looked this up. Turns out the department store in Metropolis is Lacey's. I suppose that means their competition is Mimbels, Kanamakers, or Ultmans. Fancy metropolites must shop at Pergdorf Doogman.
4. Is it a coincidence that the wig so closely resemble's Ed Woods's in Glen or Glenda?
5. If so, why isn't there more angora involved? If not, why not?
6. Haven't we all had a night or two like this?
7. If your answer to (6) was "no," was the overriding reason: (a) the drag? (b) the armed, J. Edgar-ische heavy? or (c) the bat-toting chimp?
8. Do you suppose that 7(c) marks the first appearance in English of the phrase "bat-toting chimp"?
9. In this case, is a cigar just a cigar?
10. If this is panel No. 8, do you suppose panels 9 through 12 hinged more heavily on the pistol or the baseball bat? Please submit your concepts, with special points given for (a) the intervention of aliens; (b) the appearance in a pivotal role of Thelma Ritter as Birdie Coogan; or (c) a sex scene not involving the chimp.