Sunday, March 2, 2014

Oscars, Schmoscars


Unless and until we see something as fabulously demented as this, I'm not going to get too excited about all this Oscars red-carpet brouhaha.

I wonder if we'll see any of the old guard - who could show up?  What's left of Mickey Rooney?  I suppose there's a chance for Shirley Jones or Jane Powell, but really the ones I'm interested in will mostly be featured in memoriam - Miss Fontaine will surely be included, and Shirley Temple.  Oh, but wait - I've just read that Kim Novak is coming, so that's something. I recently rewatched Picnic, and even my hard heart had to admit that she had some very effective moments, overshadowed as she was by Holden and Russell.

If nothing else, it's my first chance in yonks and yonks to watch the festivities in real time, which is kind of fun.  Even if we won't in all likelihood get a glimpse of a real star in diamonds and an elf cap...

10 comments:

  1. Maybe Luise Rainer will show up and sing a medley of song hits from "The Great Ziegfeld."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I'd settle for Debbie Reynolds and Carlton Carpenter resurrecting "Abba Dabba Honeymoon.")

      Delete
    2. A staircase number with a surprise Luise Rainer reveal would probably give me a stroke. At least we've had Liza and her fabulous hair.

      Delete
    3. She'd be sitting on the top of the stairs a la Virginia Bruce in the "Pretty Girl is LIke a Melody" number dressed like Miss Havisham.

      Delete
  2. Kim Novak was there, and it was grisly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it was. Goldie wasn't looking quite right, either...

      Delete
    2. kim couldn't stop drooling. happens
      when you pull your mouth too tight.
      the peggy lee hole

      Delete
    3. Just saw a photo of Miss Novak - she looks as if someone's slashed her with an axe. Grisly, indeed. Jx

      Delete
    4. My heart went out to Kim, whoever talked her into or didn't talk her out of getting those fillers should be ashamed of themselves. I'd seen her not that long ago on TCM and she didn't look like that. She no doubt felt insecure about appearing on the ceremony and made a bad choice. My guess is that we'll probably not see much of her from this point on. A shame she was endearing in the Turner interview although she did seem a bit fragile.

      The whole Oz tribute debacle pissed me off. They made such a thing that Liza, Lorna and Joey were going to be there and then didn't even have them on stage! Standing up in the audience? Liza's an Oscar winner for Christ's sakes! Then there was Pink "rendition" of the song, something strictly from the first round of Star Search. Weird phrasing, over emphasis and apparently no understanding of the lyrics of the song.

      Don't even get me started on the tagged on performance of Bette Midler to the In Memoriam segment effectively making it about her instead of those who deserved to be honored. Very frustrating!

      Delete
  3. Since I stopped having Oscar parties, I stopped watching the Oscars. And yet I somehow feel like I did watch them, without the benefit of getting wasted.

    ReplyDelete