Saturday, February 21, 2015

Breathe


Well, hasn't this been quite the little adventure?

Since last we met, I've had all sorts of interesting experiences, some - to put it mildly - more pleasant than others.  Thanks to the indefatigable efforts of My Dear Sister and the unwavering attention of Mr. Muscato, I have had excellent care.  Open heart surgery is no joke, but mine went as well as can be hoped.  Unfortunately, the next morning it turned out I was also having a pulmonary embolism (likely thanks to the flights to and from Thailand - thanks, corporate travel office!), which required another round of tests and another small procedure (they insert an infinitesimal mesh that protects the heart from future clots - that will have to come out in a few months).

Since then, things have gone smoothly.  I've been home for two days now, and while it's a touch melancholy that the dogs have had to go off to a kennel for a while (they are jumpy creatures, I fear), it is beyond lovely to sleep in my own bed (next to my own husband) and start the rehab process in familiar surroundings.  Now I have to turn my attention to continuing to get better, getting off the pain meds (bless 'em - I could write a lengthy volume about pain and its dark companion, fear, but that would not be terribly cheerful, would it, now?), and starting to take up the reins of what passes for normal life.

So what, at this point, have I learned?  Only one thing, and it's terribly simple.  It's the first word I heard coming out of anesthesia, and it's the word that got me through the worst moment so far (the transfer from my bed  onto the CT Scan slab the morning after, if you'd like to know), as well as many lesser moments since.

Breathe.

Breathe.

I thought it was odd, the night before surgery, the emphasis the nurse put on a lengthy but very basic breathing lesson:  in (through the nose); out (through the mouth).  Repeat.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Yet that simple thing is what's got me through this far.

And now on to whatever comes next (even if, for the moment, that's only breakfast and a cheerful stroll around our condo building's hallways).

18 comments:

  1. Oh darling, what a harrowing time! And, true to form, you come through it with the greatest of elan, and the selflessness of offering what I most need to hear right now. And so, I shall breath..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Muscato Family - We here at the cottage are delighted to hear from you so soon, and that everything went well. We will continue to pray for your recovery. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the second of two friends who has been through this just this month. I am grateful you were here and not some place else. Perhaps this a sign that slowing down overall is called for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours” - Swedish Proverb.

    Good to hear you are home and recovering OK - these things, of course, take time. Love ya! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news! Keep getting better, please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caro, so glad to hear you're home and on the mend. As for the lessons, "In. Out. Repeat." comes in handily so very often, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad your sister and your mister are there for you. I'm still sending lots of prayer and good energy out there for you. Hopefully it'll manifest itself in the form of a big ball of pink light, rather like Glinda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pleased it went well, and thanks awfully for finding the time to update us all. Onwards and upwards!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Sending good thoughts for your speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buddha make a miracle. Praise to Buddha!

    It's so nice to have you back where you belong.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you ARE breathing! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. All best wishes for a thorough recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best wishes for a very speedy recovery and some Technicolor dreams (as you come off the pain meds)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So great to hear you're doing well. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Still thinking of you, and wishing you a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't think you'd be up to posting so soon! Praying that your recovery continues to go well. Thank you for updating us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad your on the road to recovery! Please take it easy and watch the curves.

    ReplyDelete