Sunday, August 17, 2014

(Two) Day Tripper


So all this time we've been going through the move - and even as we dwell in the resulting chaos - I've been dreading what comes next.  I honestly didn't even really start putting it all together until I went back to work on Thursday, but now the reality of it is coming at me just like an American President Line ship bearing down on a little Siamese fishing vessel.

Yes, I once again have to travel, this time halfway 'round the world.

Now, normally I would be ecstatic at the prospect of a Golden Handcuffs Consulting Amalgamated International-paid little jaunt to the exotic East, but at the moment - oy.  One of the few ways in which my corporate overlords are enforcing strict financial discipline is by making sure we fly as cheaply as possible, which means something on the order of a 27-hour trip.  Once in Bangkok (during the very heart of its stickiest, rainiest season), I'll get one whole day of down time before jumping into the first of two classes I'll be leading, after which it will be time to do the whole dratted hejira in reverse, just in time to miss most of Labor Day weekend.

Bother.

On the other hand, I plan to eat as much crab fried rice - to me the summit of Thai cuisine, at least as experienced to date - as is humanly possible, and maybe when I return the apartment will have miraculously decorated itself.  My dear sister is threatening to descend on Mr. Muscato in my absence, and I would not at all put it past her just to do everything herself, as she is the very definition of a Very Decisive Personage.

In any case, if you don't hear from me for a while, it's because I'm caught in an airport somewhere in Asia, possibly until Tuesday morning...

3 comments:

  1. One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster
    The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free
    You'll find a god in every golden cloister
    A little flesh, a little history
    I can feel an angel sliding up to me

    One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
    Not much between despair and ecstasy
    One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
    Can't be too careful with your company
    I can feel the devil walking next to me ...


    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was definitely a theme of our last visit to Bangkok, but I fear this one will be much mor business-y. Not all of us can go gallivanting around places like Amsterdam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly did a lot of rondgewandelding! Jx

      Delete